Google Form and QR for Homework Check-In

I’m coming up to my last full week before heading back to the classroom for a week of professional development. With so many ideas curated this summer through my online PLN, I am trying to get a few implemented this next week. Two recent Technology Tuesday Tools posts have been in regards to QR codes and Google tools; here I will show you how I combined the two for our homework check-in procedures.

Math homework is not graded by me, in our class. Students are responsible for checking all answers and continuing to work on corrections if mistakes were made. However, I still track homework completion in our online grading book. This helps when it comes to conversations with students and parents regarding success in the class; homework and practice is usually a big indicator of how they will be performing on their assessments.

Tech Integration for Math Homework Check-InStudents will have a QR code that is permanently attached to their desk for the school year. They will scan this each day, following an assignment. It will take them to this Google Form, where they select Yes, No, or Other on the completion of homework. Based on their selection, it will take them to one of three different pages before they are finished and hit the submit button. Go ahead and test out the three options!

Tech Integration for Math HW Check-In

Then, comes the fun part in the Google Spreadsheet. You can click here to see the test data I entered (left columns E and F blank). Each column has a filter on it, so I can instantly filter down to just one name, a specific date, a certain class period, or just those who selected ‘No, HW is not complete’. Plus, any combination of those. The ones I will use the most are the filter by period w/date and also filter down to just who didn’t complete homework.

Click on the tab titled ‘Pivot Table 1‘, at the bottom of the spreadsheet, and you will see a nice summary broken down by student. The options for filtering and reporting here are also endless! I can instantly see the number of times students have completed HW, not finished HW, or worked on another task.

Did you see all the nice colors on the main tab of the spreadsheet? That is my favorite Google Form feature! Using the conditional formatting, under the Format Menu, you can customize how any kind of information is automatically shown as it gets submitted. I use this in the classroom to identify within seconds how many of the 30 students finished their homework or not. Green is good, red is not so good, and blue gets my follow up attention later to see what other activities they are working on.

Google Form Spreadsheet

Click to view original

Done! I can check one more thing off my to-do list, as this check-in form is good for the entire year. I will be able to make any changes/adjustments to the form throughout the year and not have to change the QR code label on student desks. That’s what I love about QR codes, they direct you to a permanent link, but many times you can change what that same link shows the students. A perfect way to save resources and printing.

28 thoughts on “Google Form and QR for Homework Check-In

1. Quiz question, Dan. Are you having the kids do all of this with an iPad when they walk in? Do they have 1:1 iPads at your school? We don’t so I’m trying to figure out how to make things like this work without it.

Thanks!

• Hi Kelly,

I will be receiving 20 iPads in October. For the first month of school, I may have up to six (so one for each table). Otherwise, I will use the clipboard check-in method for that short time period.

Yes, students will do this as they come into the classroom.

If you have a single computer/iPad (3-4 would be nice)…it could be part of a work station. Complete the check-in first, and then start the activity.

• Hi Guillermo,

Thanks for including this article in your Math and Multimedia Carnival post. I did notice that you had it listed as John Bodowin…instead of Dan Bowdoin (me). If you would like to change that, it would be great. Thanks!

2. LOVE the color feature idea. I have used GDocs Forms, but didn’t know about that!

I created a form just for incomplete/missing homework. (Not all my students have iPads, so have to go to computer in classroom and fill out – can you tell I am jealous?)

I also have the “level of completion” idea built in: Absent/ Not started / partially complete / mostly complete / complete with no work shown :( There is a place for them to share their “excuse” with me, since I really don’t want to hear about it in class, and “completion plan” question as well. They will be filling it out as other students check their HW, so there is a bit of time available.

Fill me in on the “I have already mastered this math concept. . .” idea :)

• I have wondered how I would handle the late work (possibly not check it in, as the grade book only tracks if it is completed on time). It is not a major part of the overall grade with SBG. However, another form for them could be a good way to simply have it recorded for my own FYI. :)

I am thinking about the “already mastered this math concept” idea. With SBG, I will have students working on different ranges of practice questions as they look to achieve mastery. Some nights may be focused on practice in those areas. Those students who have already shown mastery will still need to spend 15+ minutes on activities that I have not quite laid out yet. :)

3. Pingback: iPad Pilot | Pearltrees

4. Pingback: Mathematics and Multimedia Blog Carnival 23

5. Dan,
    I absolutely LOVE the QR codes idea–it is absolutely incredible and would solve many of my homework dilemmas. So sad that we don’t have 1:1 computers to do this with :(

6. Hi, Dan–

I am new to MS from teaching elementary and am trying to come up with a homework system that doesn’t require me to collect and check every math problem. We are going 1:1 with students getting iPads next month. How do you know the student was truthful on their form. Do you collect the homework after they check it? Are answers posted on your SMART Board? I really like this system, I just don’t want anyone to cheat it.

• Hi Brittany,

Students that cheat, are really only cheating themselves. With that said, yes, I do have a system in place that holds them accountable.

All answers are posted in the back of the textbook, so all questions need to be corrected at home, as well, for the assignment to be considered complete.

I collect student notebooks at least once a month and look through their table of contents page to see where their homework assignments are located (then go check them out). Additionally, each table group has a homework monitor that students show their homework to before checking it in. This invisible process to me, seems to help with the honesty piece quite a bit.

Additionally, with standards-based grading, the homework does not factor into their overall grade that much and I use it more to track their study habits for parents and students to see. This helps add to any conversations we need to have regarding improvement with certain math skills.

I believe this comment takes the win for being the longest one I’ve ever left….

Dan

7. Pingback: Technology Integration for Math Engagement » #8 – Technology Integration Tools: Educreations

8. Pingback: Technology Integration for Math Engagement » Class Routines

9. Pingback: iPads! | Hilbert's Hotel

10. Pingback: Do less and Engage More!! | RICS IT

11. Pingback: Technology Integration for Math Engagement » Google Form and QR for Homework Check-In | Instructional Technology Resources | Scoop.it

12. Pingback: Technology Integration for Math Engagement » Google Form and QR for Homework Check-In | HCS_QR Codes for Elementary Classrooms | Scoop.it

13. We will be distributing iPads to all students during this month and I was trying to figure out how to effectively use QR codes and have been overwhelmed with tracking math homework so this has been a tremendous help for me. Thanks for sharing.

14. Pingback: Technology Integration for Math Engagement » Day in the Life of a Math Teacher 2012 #DITLife

15. This is a great idea! I have noticed that correcting homework in class takes so much time when the kids could be working on other things. (And so could I!) Thanks for sharing!

16. Could you please share the great homework page so that I may save on my google docs drive. Also, how do you set this up?
    Sincerely,
    Vivian Rogers

17. Hi Dan! Nice job…i love google forms, and hadn’t thought of using it this way! I am curious…what is your procedure for the students checking their own homework. If you don’t do it in class, how do the students get access to the correct answers, and when do they score their work? Thanks for sharing this!